My father William

This is a blog about my father, William Foster Gillian and the legends he created during his life. We, the children have such great memories of an amazing life, because of him and my mother, Virginia Rose Gruszka Gillian. I want to tell of the stories and folktales of my family, for we have no next generation. I hope I can do justice to my father, for he was an amazing story teller. Thank you for your precious time spent reading this blog!

Name:
Location: United States

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Where is the car?!

Virginia Gruszka went home, and talked with her mother about the way she was treated. She was so offended by encounter. Antonette laughed, and asked her daughter if he was a "dog". My mother stampered, and then meekly replied "no". So, saturday morning she dressed not only to go to work, but also for the date that evening. Father was picking her up after work, then they were going to a mutual friend's home for an evening of cards and drinks. Yes, this was the person that fixed them up, but I was never told a name though. She was told, by the friend, that my father had a new car, so she picked out her high heels to wear. She was dressing to WOW.

History Lesson 101: Right after the end of WWII, new cars were a rare thing, since all the metal and such went to the war effort. You could say they were rarer than hen's teeth. A new car was a major status symbol at the time.

My mother finished her day, and stood outside the store (Carrie Long's) to await my father's arrival. She told me that her shop was enveyed by the others on the block, and there was an expectation for the CL girls to be the best dressed, compared to the rivals. As she stood outside, she admitted to me, she was checked out by the competition-knowing she was looking GOOD!

My father walked up and greeted her. She was hoping for him to pull up in front of the store, and to have everyone see her date and his NEW car. She was looking to make a splashy show in front of the other shop girls- CL girls rule! She thought he must have parked down the street. They started to walk, and my father, possessing the gift for gab, was talking about all kinds of things, while smoking his cigarette. My mother slowly realized that the farther they went, that there was NO car. She was going to have to walk the 12-14 blocks to the friend's home in her uncomfortable high heels! She was not amused!!! During the hike, she firgured he did not have a car after all, and just told this so she would go out with him, or that he did not think the date was worthy of the car. Either way-she was UPSET! Of course, due to her up bringing, she was not about to broach the subject with him. It was just all too embarrassing.

They arrived at the residence and played cards well into the night with a few other couples. My father then walked her home. My mother was vivid, making up her mind that no second date was ever going to happen.

Well, I am going to leave you here for now. The next part of the story is long and a little complex. It involves a sid story, that is one of my personal favorites.

5 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! And yes, I do hope that my allergies won't be too much of a nuisance to me this spring.

2:57 AM  
Blogger Chaotic Serenity said...

Hi Noran
Glad to see you back posting these stories! I can't wait to read the next part!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Goldie said...

Thank you! Interesting story! So did he have the car or didn't he?

9:58 AM  
Blogger Cav said...

I love hearing stories about my parents before I came along.

Thanks for coming by my site Noran. I appreciate the donation to Rally for Alli....thank you thank you!!

12:30 AM  
Blogger ellen said...

Dear Noran,

The comment you left on my blog lifted me up; the thought that, even indirectly, I could somehow help one of your patients, was very gratifying. I'm sorry to hear of his cancer. Please tell him there is a wonderful online support group (MSN) called "cancersurvivorsonlinenow", where he can talk to survivors and caregivers who truly understand the cancer experience. My screen name there is "puppycakes".

As for my drug trial, I won't know whether or not the computer has randomly selected me, until I complete a battery of tests. So far, I do meet all of the criteria. I had a rough week with the radiation side effects, and then suddenly awoke one morning and had turned the corner. I am healing remarkably well and feeling better. The tumor on my parotid gland has definitely shrunk.

Thank you so much for your caring and concern, and God bless you for what you do for others.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home