My father William

This is a blog about my father, William Foster Gillian and the legends he created during his life. We, the children have such great memories of an amazing life, because of him and my mother, Virginia Rose Gruszka Gillian. I want to tell of the stories and folktales of my family, for we have no next generation. I hope I can do justice to my father, for he was an amazing story teller. Thank you for your precious time spent reading this blog!

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Turning 21

I know I promised the blind date story, but today I turn 43 years old. It is 2:38am and I cannot sleep, after a long shift in the ER. So, I thought about birthdays past, and began to smile about a particular one, my 21st. I thought I would type about it, since the sandman has not visited me yet.

Growing up, we did not have alot of money, and having a birthday after christmas, sometimes meant not getting alot of presents, though the love was there. Also, I have had two relatives buried on my birthday--not the best of memories. Well, when you turn 21, your thoughts go to wonderful presents and becoming an adult. You are legal now and all that stuff. Well, birthday parties were never part of our family celebrations. We had cake, gifts, and cards usually. Well, my father, with my mother's help, came up with the most original birthday presentation for a girl turning 21 years old ever. My father was a generous man, but loved being frugal. I had dreams of jewelry, or jewelry, or even jewelry, as other college classmates got at this turning point of their lives. Well, it was not jewelry for me! It was "Go Fish".

I was lead to the living room, that morning, by my mother. The door to my father's workshop was open, with a sheet across it. On the sheet was a "Happy Birthday" sign drawn by my mother. She was quite a talented lady. I have always wished I could be as artistic as her. My mother,smiling, handed me a fishing pole, and said I had to "fish" for my presents. Was I ever stunned! I was 21! I was an adult now! I was fishing for gifts! Well, with my father behind the sheet, I started to fish. Sometimes a gift, sometimes a witty remark written on a card, sometimes nothing on the line at all, but a witty verbal remark from father about my lack of fishing skills. This went on for the better part of an hour. My parents giggling, and I trying to hide my disbelief, that this was how I was celebrating turning 21!

In the end, there were 6-8 presents--all from clearance from Kaybee toys!?! They all were children's toys--nothing adult at all! My favorite was the plastic fishes floating in a bowl, and you make them swim by pressing a button. Back upon that day, I was dissappointed that I was not given an adult gift, but as I look back upon that birthday, I realize I was given so much more, then most children get. I got time with my parents, to play with them once more as a child. They spent alot of creative energy on making that birthday special for me. It was most special indeed. They gave me memories that last forever, and a smile that grows across my face, whenever I think about turing 21. :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

Flirt sent me over to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY NORAN!!!! I hope all your birthday wishes come true :)

10:54 AM  
Blogger S A J Shirazi said...

Happy Birthday Noran!!
I posted this on Flirt's site befor I discovered that you have comments option on here:

And tell about Lubna. The family seem to be from my part of the world. Is that so. Here is my happy birthday present for you: You have a standing invitation to be my guest.
Shirazi | Email | 02.04.05 - 12:21 am | #

11:41 PM  
Blogger Jakarah said...

Happy Birthday Noran. Hope your day was a fabulous day and I wish you more and more fabulous birthdays.

P.S. Flirt sent me.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Restless Angel said...

I'm sorry it took a couple days to get here. I made a note when I saw the link you left on Flirt's site to make it here before the weekend was up!

My gift is still at Flirt's site, waiting for you! *grin*

Just wanted to say hello before my day gets crazy.. I really like the idea behind your blog.. Your dad seems to have been a great guy.. I'll be back to read more!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

What a wonderful story! I love to hear about events like that! Isn't it amazing how we learn so much as we get older, that blew past us unappreciated in our youth? I love your blog! Such a wonderful idea, and you are most definately bookmarked! I hope to gain some ideas to recreate for my own family!

11:46 AM  
Blogger brenda said...

.
First of all, how wonderful to have a site dedicated especially to your father!

Second of all, that was an awesome way to spend your birthday. At 29 years of age and tho' I'm a mother myself, my parents still insist upon calling me 'Baby.' They always say, "No matter where you go, how far you go or how old you get, you will always be our baby."

Thank you for writing this post. I enjoyed reading about your birthday memories.
.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home